October 5, 2015 Commission Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
October 5, 2015 5:00 P.M.
The Commission met at the Sewer Plant to tour facility with recent project by APAC nearing completion. At 5:30 the Commission proceeded to the City Building for Regular Commission meeting.
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Brian Linin with Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks, Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call.
Also present were Rich Simon – Director of Public Works, Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Mary Volk – City Clerk, Jerry Fairbanks – City Attorney and Gerry Bieker – City Manager.
Mayor Linin led Pledge of Allegiance
- 09/21/15 Commission Meeting Minutes
- 09/29/15 Special Commission Meeting Minutes
- 10/01/15 Special Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances 2015-19, 2015-19A, and 2015-P19
ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- APAC Sewer Headwork Pay Request #7 – Gerry stated, this request in the amount of $62,516.65 has been approved by our engineer. The telemetry and small finishing items remain before we pay retainer. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Pay Request #7 to APAC in the amount of $62,516.65 seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- City Managers Report- 1. Trunk or Treat is scheduled for October 31st from 4:30-6:00 p.m. They have requested Main Street be blocked off from 11th to 12th 2. As a reminder the Hospital Board has asked the Commission to a Special Meeting October 6th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at NW Tech Murray Center. 3. There is a possibility I may be absent from the October 19th meeting for my daughter’s college visit.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. I would like to thank City crews for everything they do for Flatlanders; it takes a lot of work to get it organized.
Commissioner Farris – 1. Flatlander weekend went well, a lot of people in town.
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – 1. As a reminder, next Public Forum is October 13th from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. I felt the first forum went well we need to keep moving forward.
Commissioner Garcia – 1. I echo Vice-Mayor Fairbanks comments, people can make decisions on the facts. 2. I would like to thank everyone that helped with Flatlanders on Saturday and Sunday.
- Mayors Report – Flatlanders was a good event for the community. 2. I felt good after the first forum. I am not sure we should have open microphone next time; people have told me they like writing questions down because it is anonymous.
- Under the authority of KSA 75-4319 (b)(2) for consultation with an attorney for the body or agency which would be deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship – Vice-Mayor Fairbanks made a motion at 5:45 p.m. to recess into executive session under authority of K.S.A. 75-4319 (b)(2) for consultation with an attorney for the body or agency which would be deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship for thirty minutes. I request the Commission, Gerry, Mary, Jerry and Joni be present. Commissioner Garcia seconded the motion. MOTION carried by a VOTE of 5 to 0. Meeting resumed at 6:15 p.m. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks made a second motion at 6:15 p.m. to recess into executive session under authority of K.S.A. 75-4319 (b)(2) for consultation with an attorney for the body or agency which would be deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship for fifteen minutes. I request the Commission, Gerry, Mary, Jerry and Joni be present. Commissioner Garcia seconded the motion. MOTION carried by a VOTE of 5 to 0. Meeting resumed at 6:30 p.m.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Vice-Mayor Fairbanks seconded by Commissioner Garcia. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 6:30 p.m.
ATTEST: Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk