GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
January 5, 2016 5:00 P.M.
Meeting was called to order by Mayor Brian Linin with Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks, Commissioner Gary Farris and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call. Commissioner Gwen Mai was reported absent.
Also present were Rich Simon – Director of Public Works, Dustin Bedore – Director of Public Power, Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Suzanne McClure – Economic Development Director, Mary Volk – City Clerk, and Gerry Bieker – City Manager.
Mayor Linin led Pledge of Allegiance
- Tess Smith – GAC Administrator updated the Commission on recreational activities the GAC hosts throughout the year since the City and GAC renewed their contract. Tess stated, I would like to thank City Staff for their assistance; I feel the City and GAC have a good working relationship. Gerry stated, we appreciate everything the GAC does for the community and the activities they host.
- 12/21/15 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances , 2016-01, 2016-01A, and 2016-P01
ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Approval of Library Contract – Gerry stated, the contract has been signed by County Commission. This contract between the City and County states the County will pay the Library $25,000 for library services to county residents. It is nice to have the assistance from the County. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve the Library Contract seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Planning Commission Appointments – Gerry stated, the City received four applications for three positions available. Steve Criswell and Wally Hanson are up for reappointment; Wally submitted application for reappointment. There are three new applications we would like the Commission to consider for a new view on the Planning Commission. We would like the Commission to appoint Travis Mote and Daniel Ordonez for three year terms and Justin VanVleet to fill the vacant position for a two year term. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to appoint Travis Mote and Daniel Ordonez for three year terms and Justin VanVleet to fill the remaining two year vacant position seconded by Mayor Linin. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 3-1 with Commissioner Farris casting the dissenting vote.
- City Managers Report- 1. The City of Kanorado and a couple other people are interested in the Christmas wreaths. We would like to donate ten wreaths to the City of Kanorado if the Commission approves. Consensus of the Commission is to approve donating ten wreaths to the City of Kanorado. Gerry stated, we have not come up with an individual price for people interested in them. 2. Commission Retreat is scheduled for January 12th from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Shiraz. There is another Community Healthcare meeting Tuesday January 5th at Murray Center at 7:00 p.m.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. Absent, No Report.
Commissioner Farris – 1. Christmas lights looked good; glad able to take down before a blizzard.
- Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – Is there interest in having county representation on the Planning Commission or do we visit subject again? Make it clear that I am not talking about zoning, only representation on the board. Gerry stated, I do not want to bring topic up and cause havoc but Jerry Nemechek submitted an application for the Planning Commission and I would like him to be an Advisory Member (no voting ability) on the board. Mayor Linin stated, I am open to a couple of county residents sitting on the board as a means of working with the county. Is there a certain number allowed? Gerry stated, there can be as many as Commission wants on the board, just have to ensure majority of members on board are inside City limits. We do not want to incorporate zoning in any matter. Mayor Linin stated, I think it is a good idea. I do not want anyone to think we are going back on our word this is just a way to get county input. Gerry stated, I feel we need to move forward. It is about doing what is right for Goodland and Sherman County in order to define proper land use for future businesses. Commissioner Farris stated, we are not going to get anything in our community or grow in any way with all our rate increases. We need to face it and accept that point. Commissioner Garcia stated, I think Gerry did a good job explaining to the audience the situation but so many times there are people in influential positions, such as the County Commission, that bind our community. In order to move our community forward we have to break down those walls and be able to open the door to everything for the opportunity for our community to move forward. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, we were making baby steps in the past but I feel we have made a U-turn with this relationship. Commissioner Farris stated, the zoning issue was a controversial topic twenty years ago. Unless you get the two governing boards together you have a stifling point. Gerry stated, if county representatives are advisory members and have no voting rights the Commission does not need to change our ordinance. I feel with his experience on the last comprehensive plan, it is important to have Jerry as an advisory member. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to appoint Jerry Nemechek as a County Advisory member (no voting ability) to the Planning Commission seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
Commissioner Garcia – 1. No Report
- Mayors Report – I had a citizen talk to me about the letter that In the Can mailed to commercial customers on the solid waste situation. He shares a dumpster with two other businesses, none of which generate a large amount of trash. The concern is they have one dumpster that three people pay for. This format brings a level playing ground so everyone is charged the same rate for the service. Commissioner Garcia stated, the ones that will get hit are those with multiple dumpsters or dumpsters emptied multiple times per week. Gerry stated, the fee is a minimum commercial charge, no matter how many times empty dumpster or how much trash is generated. We will hear from citizens on the bill they receive in February and we will review the concerns at that time. We need to remember In the Can is our contractor and the citizens are our customer base for solid waste services.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Garcia seconded by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 5:34 p.m.
ATTEST: Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk