April 13, 2016 Special Work Session Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
Special Work Session
April 13, 2016 5:00 P.M.
Special Work Session was called to order by Mayor Brian Linin with Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks, Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call.
Also present were Rich Simon – Director of Public Works, Dustin Bedore – Director of Electric Utilities, Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Suzanne McClure – Economic Development Director, Joshua Jordan – IT Director, Shauna Johnson – Utility Billing Clerk, Brian James – Fire Chief, Mary Volk – City Clerk, and Gerry Bieker – City Manager.
Mayor Linin led Pledge of Allegiance
- Joni presented the proposed plan for Goodland Police Department Relocation to the Armory building. Within the facility, they would like to have a Regional Training Center.
- Brian stated, Sherman County Rural Fire is the Region 7 Rescue Team and with the Police Department proposal we would like to relocate our trailer and equipment housed at the Armory to the old fire bays in City Offices. The City Bus would continue to use the first bay. Our team is funded with FEMA grant money. We have funding coming that we would like to build a burn house on northeast corner of Wolak parking lot and a rope tower on the southeast corner. These facilities can be used for regional training. By moving here, everything will be centrally located with our facility.
- Joshua presented two proposals to upgrade the City phone system to address current problems. The system will work with proposed projects.
- Gerry stated, we are discussing upgrading to a fully automated meter reading system from Tantalus. It is a grid system that has potential to benefit City operations. There are collectors and several electric meters in system that will read water meters and send information to utility billing system, eliminating us replacing a meter reader.
- Gerry discussed proposed shelters in Chambers Park. With fountain renovation this will make park more attractive as a family park. We are looking at getting assistance from Dane Hanson Foundation.
- Gerry stated, the Buxton presentation is scheduled for May 10th at Wolak Building, time to be determined. The County Commission can be there and I have talked to Hospital Administrator and the college about participating. I am talking to school but not sure how much will pertain to them.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Mai seconded by Commissioner Garcia. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 7:25 p.m.
ATTEST: Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk