GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
May 15, 2017 5:00 P.M.
Mayor Brian Linin called the meeting to order with Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks, Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call.
Also present: Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Mary Volk-City Clerk, and Andrew Finzen-City Manager.
Mayor Linin led Pledge of Allegiance
- Proclamation: National Police Week 2017 – Mayor Linin proclaimed May 15 through May 21, 2017 as National Police Week in the City of Goodland.
- Moment of Silence – Mayor Linin requested everyone observe a Moment of Silence for all officers that have fallen in the line of duty.
- Proclamation: Run for the Wall Day 2017 – Mayor Linin proclaimed May 20, 2017 as Run for the Wall Day in the City of Goodland.
- 05/01/17 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances, 2017-10, 2017-10A, and 2017-P10
- 2017 Utility Charge Offs
ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Garcia to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS
BOARD AND COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
- Approval of Rent Increase to $150 monthly – Andrew stated, the Airport Board recommended increasing T-Hangar rent to $125 but during discussion, the Commission indicated they would like to see rate increased to $150 effective at renewal of each annual lease. Mayor Linin stated, I received feedback from current renters that do not mind increase to $150 but skylights have been broke out by hail and they would like to have them fixed. Andrew stated, we will address this issue. ON A MOTION by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks to approve the increase of T-Hangar rent to $150 per month effective upon renewal of each annual lease seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- City Managers Report- 1. Relocation of firehouse at airport will take place this week. We will document the process. 2. Sami applied to Sherman County Community Foundation for a grant to repair to school house. We received $4,011 grant and will be able to proceed on project. We received a dividend check from EMC Insurance in the amount of $33,770.07. We will not see checks in future with Scottsdale Insurance Company, but the dividend is never a guarantee and Scottsdale Insurance was low bid even with dividend. 4. Meeting Wednesday to review storm damage from April 28th through May 3rd. I will be in attendance, even though the City had no damage. 5. NRP was approved Friday and citizens can apply for benefit. We will look at scheduling joint meetings to work toward removing caps. 6. Reminder of Commission workshop tomorrow in Commission room from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. 7. City safety audit is complete; we received a gold designation for safety practices which gives us a 5% discount on premium. 8. There is a handout to update Commission on unfit structures. Owner of 602 Clark is only response we received. All properties will be on next agenda. The demolition bids for 811 E. Highway 24 are due next week. 9. Budget calendar is set, if you have a conflict please let us know. Commissioner Garcia and Mayor Linin requested rescheduling budget meeting July 3rd.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. No Report.
Commissioner Farris – 1. Rain is making it difficult for contractor to complete brick project.
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – 1. How are we coming on the pool vandalism, has it delayed pool opening? Andrew stated, Public Works planned on painting that weekend and are now finished with painting. It is curing and will be ready to fill within days. Police Department worked on case and have submitted recommendations for prosecution. Mayor Linin asked, have the suspects been served? Joni stated, the individuals have not been served; the information has been submitted to County Attorney for prosecution and he will issue warrants. Our Department worked hard on case.
Commissioner Garcia – 1. Did the City have a pickup in an accident? Andrew stated, yes it is going through the insurance process at this time. There were no injuries and we are in process of getting payout on vehicle since it was totaled.
- Mayors Report – No Report.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Garcia seconded by Commissioner Mai. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 5:25 p.m.
ATTEST: Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk