GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
August 7, 2017 5:00 P.M.
Meeting was called to order by Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks with Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call. Mayor Brian Linin was absent.
Also present were Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Alex Weis-Code Enforcement, Suzanne McClure- Economic Development, Brian James-Fire Chief, Dustin Bedore- Electric Superintendent, Sharmis Blake- Deputy City Clerk and Andrew Finzen-City Manager.
Vice Mayor Fairbanks led Pledge of Allegiance
- Viaero Communication Tower – Vice-Mayor Fairbanks opened Public Hearing at 5:01 p.m. for Viaero Communications request to construct a communication tower at 7th and Clark Street. This request requires the City to grant a conditional use permit. Rick Bailey, Viaero Communications and Kevin Rasure, property owner were present to answer questions concerning the tower. There was no public comment so Vice-Mayor closed hearing at 5:06 p.m.
- Fiscal Year 2018 Budget – Vice-Mayor Fairbanks opened Public Hearing at 5:06 p.m. for the Fiscal Year 2018 Budget. Andrew stated, adjustments based upon Commission’s budget discussion have been made. The 2018 budget will keep mill levy steady at 49 with a $15,900,000 budget, consistent with prior years. There was no public comment so Vice-Mayor closed hearing at 5:08 p.m.
- 7-12-17 Special Commission Meeting Minutes
- 7-17-17 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances , 2017-15; 2017-15A; 2017-P15
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0
- Bathrooms at the Van Gough – Andrew stated, this request has been discussed before but at the request of two community members operating businesses in the area we should revisit the situation. Chandra Ruhs, owner of American Family Insurance stated, we have a lot of visitors from the Van Gough stop to use our restroom. It is hard to tell a family with children they cannot use the restroom. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, we are looking at putting restrooms in at sight using a grant and thanked Chandra for bringing problem to our attention.
- Fire Chief Agreement – Andrew stated, Fire Chief Agreement between City and County Commission has not been updated since 2014. A draft agreement with recommended revisions are in your packet and will be sent to the County Commission to discuss and possibly approve at the meeting August 15th if there are no objections.
- Temporary Event CMB permit Revisions – Andrew stated, the current CMB permit needs modified to strengthen language in the code, as well as modify some of the forms that we are currently using. The proposed changes would increase submittal requirements.
BOARD AND COMMISSION APPIONTMENTS
- LKM Delegate – Andrew stated, League of Kansas Municipalities will hold their annual conference in Wichita September 16-18. The City is permitted two voting and two alternate voting delegates to vote at the business meeting. I am the only one committed to attend meeting. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to appoint Andrew as the voting delegate for the City of Goodland seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- City Tree Board – Andrew stated, Christie Rasure currently serves on the Tree Board and is seeking reappointment for three year term. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to appoint Christie Rasure to another three year term on the Tree Board seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- City Tree Board – Andrew stated, Michael Bretz currently serves on the Tree Board and is seeking reappointment for three year term. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to appoint Michael Bretz to another three year term on the Tree Board seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- City Tree Board – Andrew stated, Danny Krayca completed an application to serve on the Tree Board at my request. Danny does most of the planning for City Arbor Day and our Tree City. I think he would be an excellent addition to the board with his dedication on these events. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to appoint Danny Krayca to a three year term on Tree Board seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Conditional Use Permit: Viaero Communication Tower – Andrew stated, this item was addressed in public hearing. The tower would be built on property owned by Kevin Rasure at 7th and Clark. The tower has been approved by the FAA, meeting their requirements. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve the Conditional Use Permit for Viaero Communications seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Fiscal Year 2018 Budget – Andrew stated, the Commission needs to approve the 2018 Fiscal Year Budget. Adjustments discussed by the Commission have been made, keeping the mill levy steady. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve the 2018 Fiscal year budget seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Filing Fee Request: Goodland Housing Authority – Andrew stated, Sheila Barnett from the Goodland Housing Authority would like to present her request for a filing fee of $1,000.00. Sheila stated, in 2012 Housing Authorities sued HUD for monies that were owed to them and won. Goodland Housing Authority was not one of the originals that filed suit and there is a second wave of lawsuits that could stand to be recovered approximately $75,000.00; however, federal funds cannot be used to file the suit. Goodland Housing Authority is 100% federally funded. I would like to ask the City to cover the $1,000.00 filing fee. Andrew stated, we can utilize the $1,000 in budget for PBR that was never used this year. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve payment of $1,000 filing fee for the Goodland Housing Authority, using the PBR money seconded by Commissioner Garcia. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- Unfit Structure- 602 Clark – Andrew stated, as discussed, the property owner of 602 Clark has secured a roofing contractor but is on a waiting list. I recommend tabling property until the next meeting August 21, 2017. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to table action on property at 602 Clark until next Commission meeting seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- UNFIT STRUCTURE- 1619 KANSAS – Andrew stated, property was given a thirty day extension to track down the property owner. There has been no contact or information relayed to Alex that the property owner has been located. I recommend the property be put out to bid for demolition. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to solicit demolition bids for the property at 1619 Kansas seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 4-0.
- City Managers Report- 1. I met with Engineering Consultants regarding 1008 Main on August 2nd with Alex, Rich and Brian. The engineer is going to prepare report for the August 21st 2. Motel 7 property will return to the agenda for potential action on August 21st. There is a lawsuit going between the old and new property owners. 3. The last stop for getting our pool permit is a letter from the manufacturer stating the design of the slides meets ASTM standards. 4. There has been some questions about campaign signage. They are temporary signs and there seems to be a loophole missing in our code which define how long temporary signs can be displayed. We need to fix this but I would advise waiting until after the current election. 5. As a reminder there is a joint meeting with the County Commission and School Board on August 15th at the Wolak building, 7:30 a.m. 6. We are setting September 13th from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. as the date to ask for volunteers to help paint playground equipment at Rosewood, Chambers and Phillips Parks. There will be a BBQ for anyone who helps with the project.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Farris- No Report.
Commissioner Garcia- 1. I noticed weeds at Exit 19 are tall and need to be taken care of because it does not look good for visitors. 2. I have been contacted by the owners of Tequilas. They want to have a band in their parking lot and wondered if they needed any permits. Joni stated, it would follow the noise ordinance but without all details, I cannot say whether other permits will be needed.
Commissioner Mai- 1. It was great to see the community come together and volunteer for the fair.
Vice- Mayor Fairbanks – No Report
- Mayor’s Report – Absent, No Report.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Garcia by seconded by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 6.45 p.m.
ATTEST: Annette Fairbanks, Vice-Mayor
Sharmis Blake, Deputy City Clerk