GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
September 18, 2017 5:00 P.M.
Mayor Brian Linin called the meeting to order with Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks, Commissioner Gary Farris, Commissioner Gwen Mai and Commissioner John Garcia responding to roll call.
Also present were Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Suzanne McClure – Economic Development Director, Joshua Jordan – IT Director, Alex Weis – Code Enforcement and Mary Volk – City Clerk.
Mayor Linin led Pledge of Allegiance
- Flatlander Festival – Lincoln Wilson and Brent Wood from Flatlander Festival committee presented Flatlander Festival request. Lincoln stated, we would like to thank City for past participation and support, both in services and financial. The Sunday picnic in the park has become a part of annual event. We would like to ask for access to Gulick Park and Main Street, with connecting arteries to host event. Park restrooms are now open for use which saves the event money. Commissioner Garcia asked, have you been in contact with Rich Simon? Brent stated, yes we have contacted him. Commissioner Garcia asked, what is in our budget for the event? Mary stated, $2,500, check is in the appropriation ordinance. Commissioner Garcia presented a check in the amount of $1,000 on behalf of the Chamber of Commerce.
- Chris Smolik: GRMC CEO Introduction – Presentation rescheduled for later date.
- Suzanne McClure: Paint the Parks Project – Suzanne stated, this is county wide project funded by a Cleanup Grant from the Hansen Foundation. City share is to paint park equipment; Kanorado used grant to clean up tires and tree trimming. Danny Krayca spent seventy hours priming and getting equipment ready to paint. It was a fun successful afternoon with many good volunteers helping. I want to thank volunteers and City crews for organizing project. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks asked, how many people attended? Suzanne stated, there were over fifty, counting everyone. Danny was very organized so project went very quickly. Commissioner Mai stated, it was so organized, I showed up at 5:30 and painting was done by 6:00. It is amazing what fifty people can do in two hours. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, people take pride in their community when they have a hand in it.
- 09/05/17 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances, 2017-18, 2017-18A, and 2017-P18
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Mai. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- Unfit structure: 1619 Kansas Ave – Mayor Linin stated, Andrew outlined recommendation on this property. Tohanna Thompson stated, we made a return trip to Texas to get deed. The property is overgrown since we are not allowed on property. We will come into compliance within three days once allowed back on property. Commissioner Garcia stated, they have shown good faith effort. A few meetings back Commission recommended formal contract with authority to proceed. They have money invested in property. I feel they should be allowed to work on property and the time they need; they just need to work with Alex. Sounds like you have spoken with Brian to ensure you are within code on doors and windows. Right now outside is priority to get property cleaned up. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks asked, is there a list of what needs to be done on property? Alex stated, there is no list since inside of house is gutted. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks asked, do we have a timeline? Alex stated, I am waiting on outcome of this meeting. David Roeder stated, we plan on keeping in contact with Alex every couple weeks on progress. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, I understand but we have made the same request of everyone in same circumstances. The Commission is only concerned about code items. Tohanna stated, I have worked with Brian and Alex on all changes I want to make to property. Commissioner Garcia asked, do you feel comfortable with ninety days? Tohanna stated, I am on limited budget and have made two trips to Texas, so I would feel more comfortable with one hundred twenty days. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Garcia to remove vacate notice on property effective immediately to allow David Roeder and Tohanna Thompson to work with Alex for one hundred twenty days to bring property within code seconded by Commissioner Garcia. Tohanna asked, will someone notify police department that we are allowed back on property? Joni stated, once I get an email from Alex I will notify staff. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
- Unfit structure: 811 E. Hwy 24 – Mayor Linin stated, staff received estimate to demolish property. Based on estimate, Andrew recommends remove property from nuisance list due to budget constraints and focus on structure at 1008 Main. Commissioner Mai stated, I feel 1008 Main structure should be our priority. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, we have no extra money in budget, but agree 1008 Main is very serious problem that needs addressed. Mayor Linin stated, we have options. Commissioner Mai stated, if we remove property from nuisance process we have to start over on structure. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to table action on property at 811 E. Hwy 24 until the second meeting in October seconded by Vice-Mayor Fairbanks. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 5-0.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. There is a bug issue on west side of town, is there anything City can do about them? Mary stated, I will discuss with Andrew and Rich.
Commissioner Farris – 1. No Report
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – 1. I would like to thank volunteers working cleanup project. Appreciate everyone’s hard work. 2. I heard Strategic doing went well. Suzanne stated, it was a very good meeting, seventy-seven people attended. She will come back for three more meetings.
Commissioner Garcia – 1. I hope everyone does well at Flatlander Festival and ask community to support event.
- Mayors Report – Look forward to Flatlander Festival this weekend. 2. Next meeting Airport Board will be on agenda, everyone has a copy of memo and need to be ready to discuss.
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Vice-Mayor Fairbanks seconded by Commissioner Garcia. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 5:33 p.m.
ATTEST: Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk