November 6, 2017 Commission Minutes
GOODLAND CITY COMMISSION
Nov. 6, 2017 5:00 P.M.
Vice-Mayor Annette Fairbanks called the meeting to order with Commissioner Gary Farris and Commissioner Gwen Mai responding to roll call. Mayor Brian Linin and Commissioner John Garcia were reported absent.
Also present were Rich Simon – Director of Public Works, Dustin Bedore – Director of Electric Utilities, Joni Showalter-Police Chief, Mary Volk – City Clerk, and Andrew Finzen – City Manager.
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks led Pledge of Allegiance
Stephanie Stephenson Commission Candidate stated, I would like to thank everyone for coming to public forum. I appreciate everyone’s time as I know Wednesday is a busy night.
- 10/16/17 Commission Meeting Minutes
- Appropriation Ordinances, 2017-21, 2017-21A, 2017-21B, 2017-P21 and 2017-P21A
ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve Consent Agenda seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 3-0.
- Vice-Mayor Fairbanks made a motion at 5:02 p.m. to recess into executive session to discuss possible acquisition of unfit structures under authority of K.S.A. 75-4319 (b)(6) for preliminary discussions relating to the acquisition of real property under KOMA for ten minutes. I request the Commission and Andrew be present. Commissioner Mai seconded the motion. MOTION carried by a VOTE of 3 to 0. Meeting resumed at 5:12 p.m.
- Contract Award: GIS Mapping, EBH – Andrew stated, this contract is for the services Adam discussed last meeting. The contract price is $94,000. We have two separate contracts with EBH on agenda. This one is to set up mapping service, the next is for annual maintenance contract at $600 per year. I recommend approval of both contracts. Adam stated, the City is planning to utilize money remaining from water project for surveying and mapping system. There will still be approximately $30,000 that Andrew is planning to use toward water lines on Main Street project. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve GIS Mapping Contract with EBH seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 3-0.
- Contract Award: GIS Mapping Annual Service, EBH – Adam stated, the annual fee covers licensing cost to host service then the contract outlines an open ended fee to update information in map. EBH must present a cost estimate for annual updates. Andrew stated, the City is able to cancel contract at any time. Adam stated, correct and at that time the mapping will revert to City if Commission desires. Vice-Mayor Fairbanks stated, the minimum fee is $600 for licensing then any fee paid for updates will be approved ahead of time. Adam stated, correct, any updates will be charged on an hourly basis. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve GIS Mapping Annual Service Contract with EBH seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 3-0.
- Letter of Support: KDOT Van Grant Application – Andrew stated, the City is submitting a grant application for the van transportation program. The Commission needs to submit a letter of support for the program. Funds for the program are budgeted in the City’s 2018 budget. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve letter of support for the van transportation grant application seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 3-0.
- Unfit Structure: 1008 Main – Andrew stated, City requested roof replacement bids on 1008 Main since cost for full property abatement exceeds funds available. Bids received are Sawdust Enterprizes, LLC in amount of $83,602 and Weather Craft in the amount of $32,500, which falls within budget line item. I recommend the Commission approve bid from Weather Craft. Commissioner Mai stated, this has been a tough topic and it is time for the City to move forward on property to protect surrounding structures. ON A MOTION by Commissioner Mai to approve bid from Weather Craft in the amount of $32,500 for roof repair seconded by Commissioner Farris. MOTION carried on a VOTE of 3-0.
- City Managers Report- 1. Airport access road is complete and open to the public; the temporary road has been closed. There is some final fencing to be done and then all work will be complete out there. 2. We worked with the Arts Center to get grant funding from the Dane Hansen Foundation for an interior remodel. We recently found out that we were awarded funding in the amount of $23,000. Abby will be present at our next meeting to give more information on what will be done to the building. Photos of progress made on 1601 Kansas and 1619 Kansas from our unfit structures process are in packet. Removal work has begun at 1601 Kansas, while 1619 Kansas has not had any improvements made to the property since last Commission action. We will continue to monitor the properties and keep you updated. 4. City Hall will be closed Friday, November 10 in observance of Veteran’s Day. 5. The City Christmas party will be December 11th at Shiraz. All Commissioners and spouses are invited to attend.
MAYOR AND COMMISSION REPORTS
- Commissioner Reports
Commissioner Mai – 1. I have been asked whether there is an ordinance pertaining to code violations for multiple colors of shingles on a roof. Andrew stated, I do not believe there is aesthetic requirement but I will look into it. 2. I would like an update on donations in 2017 budget and what we need to do to close those up. Andrew stated, I will have information for next meeting. 3. I have heard people comment on professional job staff did on concrete at airport. 4. Congratulations to Art Center for grant, they have had a lot of interior water damage. 5. I encourage people to vote tomorrow.
Commissioner Farris – 1. No Report
Vice-Mayor Fairbanks – 1. I encourage everyone to vote tomorrow. Good luck to all candidates.
Commissioner Garcia – 1. Absent, No Report
- Mayors Report – Absent, No Report
ADJOURNMENT WAS HAD ON A MOTION Commissioner Farris seconded by Commissioner Mai. Motion carried by unanimous VOTE, meeting Adjourned at 5:28 p.m.
ATTEST: Annette Fairbanks, Vice-Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk