With Independence Day soon approaching, please take a moment to learn the do’s and don’ts pertaining to firework usage in the City of Goodland.
Are fireworks legal in Goodland?
Yes, certain fireworks may be detonated on July 3 and July 4 between the hours of 10:00am and 10:00pm.
What types of fireworks are allowed?
All pyrotechnic items classified as Class C fireworks and listed as follows:
- Roman candles, not exceeding ten balls with total pyrotechnic composition not exceeding 20 grams in weight and inside tube diameter not exceeding three-eighths inch.
- Helicopter-type rockets, with total pyrotechnic composition not exceeding 20 grams in weight and inside tube diameter not exceeding one-half inch.
- Cylindrical fountains with total pyrotechnic composition not exceed 75 grams in weight and inside tube diameter not exceeding one-half inch.
- Cone fountains, with total pyrotechnic composition not exceeding 50 grams in weight.
- Firecrackers with casings with external dimensions not exceeding one and one-half inches in length and one-quarter inch in diameter, and total pyrotechnic composition not exceeding two grains each in weight.
- Wheels with total pyrotechnic composition not exceeding 60 grams for each driver unit or 240 grams for each wheel, and with inside tube diameter of driver units not exceeding one-half inch.
- Illuminating torches and colored fire in any form, with total pyrotechnic composition not exceeding 100 grams.
- Dipped sticks, the pyrotechnic composition of which contains any chlorate or perchlorate not exceeding five grams, and all sparklers.
What types of fireworks are prohibited?
Any fireworks not listed above, including bottle rockets, are expressly prohibited.
Can I detonate fireworks in the street or on City right-of-way?
No, fireworks may not be detonated on sidewalks, streets, alleys or within City parks.
Do I need a permit for a public display, or to operate a fireworks stand?
Yes, City permits must be issued for either a public display or a fireworks stand. A display for family and friends is not considered a public display. Please plan accordingly as the City Office will be closed on July 4th.
What are the consequences for violating City firework provisions?
Violations shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $500.00 nor more than $1,500.00, or by imprisonment for a period not exceeding 90 days. Violators will also be banned from obtaining city permits and licenses relating to fireworks for a period of two years.
How should I report a violation?
Please contact Sherman County Communications at 785-899-2911.