BE IT ORDAINED BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY OF GOODLAND, KANSAS:
SECTION 1. Off-Street Parking and Driveway Regulations
- Definitions. For the purposes of this section the following definitions shall be applicable:
- Vehicle. Any device, other than a motorized bicycle or a motorized wheelchair, which is self-propelled, including, but not limited to, automobiles, trucks, boats, recreational vehicles, motor homes and motorcycles. The term “vehicle” shall also include non-motorized campers, “fifth wheel” motor homes, and other similar devices.
- All-Weather Improved Surface. A surface consisting of gravel at least ¾ inch thick and 2-inches depth, stone, brick, hot mix asphalt or concrete paving, or any such similar surface as determined by the building official.
- Curb Line. A line delineated by the alignment of the backside of the curb and gutter placed in the construction of a public street. On streets without curb and/or gutter, the property line abutting a public street shall be considered the curb line.
- Building Line. See Sec. 19-202.
- No person, firm or corporation shall park or store any vehicle, whether operational or not, between the curb line of a street and the building line on any residential lot, nor any residential lot lacking a building line, except that such parking shall be permitted on an all-weather improved parking surface.
- All parking areas, driveways, or any part of the property used for vehicle travel shall consist of an all-weather improved surface, with the surface clearly delineated by curbs, landscaping, or other similar features to distinguish the parking area from the remainder of the yard.
- Approved surfaces shall not include grass, carpet, shingles, plastic, cardboard, or wood chips.
- If the side yard of a property is less than eight (8) feet wide, the storage or parking of such vehicles in said side yard is prohibited.
- No more than seven (7) vehicles shall be parked outside on any residential lot. Provided, vehicles enclosed within a garage or solid fence six feet in height shall not be counted towards said total.
- An unimproved driveway shall be allowed if the total driveway width, including any improved surfaces, is no greater than twenty-four (24) feet and demonstrates the delineation specified in this section.
- The requirements of this section shall not be applicable to the parking area for any church, school or government building.
- Whenever extraordinary hardship or practical difficulties may result from strict compliance with these regulations, the building line of the neighborhood may be substituted for the building line of the individual property at the discretion of the City Manager.
- Violation of this section shall be unlawful and punishable by a fine of no less than thirty dollars ($30.00) nor no more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). Each day a violation continues shall be deemed a separate violation.
SECTION 2. This Ordinance shall be effective the 1st day of November, 2018.
PASSED AND ADOPTED this 1st day of October, 2018 by the Governing Body of the City of Goodland, Kansas.
Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk