BE IT ORDAINED BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY OF GOODLAND, KANSAS:
SECTION 1. That Sec. 19-502 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Goodland, Kansas is hereby amended to include a new Section 19-502(CC) which shall read as follows:
- Garages may be considered a principal use in the R-1 District instead of a residential structure only if the following conditions are met:
- A garage shall not cover more than twelve (12) percent of the total lot area, with a maximum of 1,200 square feet; and no more than twenty (20) feet to the peak of the roof or structure.
- For lots 10,000 square feet and over, no garage shall be constructed or placed in such a manner as to restrict said lot from future construction of a single-family dwelling without having to first remove the garage.
- For lots under 10,000 square feet, garages can be constructed or placed without consideration for future construction. However, garages built on lots under 10,000 square feet without a residential structure must front a City street and cannot front an alley.
- Minimum Exterior Building Material Standards: A minimum of 50% of the garage’s front exterior wall shall consist of one or more of the following:
- Stone material used for masonry construction, including but not limited to, granite, sandstone, slate, limestone, marble or other hard and durable all-weather stone.
- Brick material used for masonry construction composed of hard fired (kiln fired) all-weather common brick or other all-weather facing brick.
- Stucco or approved gypsum concrete/plaster materials.
- Other design components which create visual interest through the use of different textures, complementary colors, shadow lines and contrasting shapes.
- Driveway Requirements: All parking areas, driveways, or any part of the property used for vehicle travel shall consist of hot mix asphalt, concrete paving, stone or brick, excepting that garages which front an alley shall not be subject to these requirements.
- Site Plan Review: All applicants seeking the construction of a garage as a principal use in the R-1 District shall submit a Site Plan to the Building Official which shall include the following:
- Approximate size and locations of all structures.
- Access from streets.
- Imagery or description of exterior building materials to be used.
- Imagery or description of driveway construction materials to be used.
SECTION 2. This Ordinance shall take effect and be in force from and after its publication in the official city newspaper.
PASSED AND ADOPTED this 19th day of August, 2019 by the Governing Body of the City of Goodland, Kansas.
Brian Linin, Mayor
Mary P. Volk, City Clerk